Wednesday 24 March 2010

24 March

Rain had been predicted for today, but, when I saw it wasn't raining and not looking like it was going to soon, I decided to grab the opportunity and pop round the allotment for more weeding.

During my first pause, this visitor was on one of the neighbouring plots, but I have also seen a dunnock and crows on others. 4 robins were in the tree by the entrance when I arrived; some were to be heard, as well as blackbirds and tits, all around me as I was working.

magpieAs during previous visits, green woodpecker was very much in evidence, and I also saw a great spotted woodpecker on the tree in the middle. A grey heron flew over, as well as more Egyptian geese, and a few big gulls, usually in pairs.

I also had a big bumblebee exploring my patch, more particularly around those bricks. A bush by the hut/toilets/coffee room was buzzing with various bumblebees and possibly honeybees. I reckon this one is a buff-tailed bumblebee. I lifted the bricks and found lots of woodlice under them, pretty much as expected.

These are the plants which have sprouted in one of the corner, which I haven't yet identified (but I haven't yet really tried). Don't tell me it's more cabbage...




And finally the 2 strawberry plants :)

No comments:

Post a Comment