Friday 19 March 2010

first day

I got some tools and gloves on Wednesday, so this morning I went to the allotment in order to start on the weeding. Sky was blue, weather looked nice as I left home, but as I was walking I could see this big band of grey clouds that looked very threatening. Thankfully rain held until I was back home :)

Before:

After:

What I removed:



I still need to get a composting bin, in the meantime a big heap will do. Not in there however was most of the nettles as I took these home to make soup.
Ground felt good, I found lots of earthworms, I am quite happy about that.
I also got a few books at the Library yesterday, to help me plan. I forgot to get a tape measure this morning so more precise planning will have to wait.

I do need to decide what to do with this rosemary. It does look a bit poorly to me.



Lastly, anyone knows what this is? It is at the base of the rosemary and I have left it for the minute.



Wildlife: The amount of birdsong was really good, and it I learned one thing today is how much I need to get better at recognising them. At least one call I recognised was that of green woodpecker, which I still haven't seen on my patch this year. I also saw it fly to a tree in the middle of the allotments.
Had a ladybird, of the Harlequin variety, possibly the same I saw last week in the 'greenhouse', and a bumble bee flew by as I left.

No comments:

Post a Comment